Description of the Interior of St.Kilian’s Church, Blacklion

Beginning at the main entrance and moving clockwise around the church, following the plan above, you can take a look at the features of our place of worship. Many of these statues and images help us to pray.

Beginning at the main entrance and moving clockwise around the church, following the plan above, you can take a look at the features of our place of worship. Many of these statues and images help us to pray.

1 Main Entrance (Old Altar Area). Note the statue of the Blessed Virgin on the inside, over the door.

1 Main Entrance (Old Altar Area). Note the statue of the Blessed Virgin on the inside, over the door.

2. Double Stone Windows. This is the old transept area of the Church. The windows have angel heads similar to those on the beams

Angel heads on the beams.

In the old transept area there is an old Holy Water font and this attractive feature is above it.

This granite feature is in the old transept area of the Church and is now to the left as you come into the Church by the left main door.

3. Statues St.Anthony (3A)

(3b) Sacred Heart

(3c) Mary Mater Dei

(3d) St. Teresa

4. Confession Box. This area was originally a Mortuary Chapel and became a confession box in 1986 until the past few years when now it houses the crib at Christmas time.

5. Side Entrance. This was the "Old Privileged Entrance" and is now the main side entrance to the church. This was commonly known as the "Silver Door" for the elite at that time.

6. Crucifix. A wooden cross originally in Holy Rosary Church.

7. Altar. This altar is a wooden table on wooden stem. This is not the original and dates from post Vatican 11

7. Altar. This altar is a wooden table on wooden stem. This is not the original and dates from post Vatican 11.

Ambo and Chair. These are made of wood. These are not the original and date from post Vatican 11.

8. Ambo and Chair. These are made of wood. These are not the original and date from post Vatican 11.

Ambo and Chair. These are made of wood. These are not the original and date from post Vatican 11.

Ambo and Chair. These are made of wood. These are not the original and date from post Vatican 11.

9. Tabernacle. This is a wooden box, with a brass door set and with coloured gemstones and Lamb of God appliqued to the door.

10 Sanctuary Lamp. Made of brass with a red kight in memory of a parishioner Richard Cruess Bolger with "Pray for the repose of his soul 1890" inscribed on it. it is 6 sided with a chased motif and has 6 opals set in it. It was donated by a parishioner.

12 Church Organ. This is an electric pedal board organ. It is here since 1995 and replaces the origianl one donated in 1982. The inscription on it explains its origin.

Nos 13, 14, 15, 16,17 have no relevant images to attach.

18. Wall Plaque

19A . Statue of St. Kilian 1866-Exterior

19b Wooden Statue of St.Kilian -Interior.

When a group from the parish were going to visit/on pilgrimage to Wurzburg, they were requested by Mon.P.Wallace, P.P. to bring back a statue of St.Kilian. A group of German friends became aware of this request and they said to leave it in their hands. A 20in wooden statue was carved/crafted by a 70 year old wood carver/craftsman in the Bavarian mountains. It was presented to the Parish and installed in 2003. No image available as yet.

20 Bell Tower

21 Roof and Beams

21 Roof and Beams

21 Roof and Beams

21 Roof and Beams

21 Roof and Beams. 1866 is inscribed on one indicating when the church was opened and blessed. The granite corbels on which the roof timbers rest are very nicely worked.

21 There are heads in plaster at each end of the arch which used to be the chancel arch. One is of a bishop and it is possible this may be of St.Kilian as this was the sanctuary area before 1886.

21 Head in plaster at end of old chancel arch.

21 Head in plaster at end of old chancel arch.

22. Lights. The five particularly attractive light shades hanging from the roof beams in the Nave and Transepts come from the Holy Rosary Church in Greystones

22. Lights. The five particularly attractive light shades hanging from the roof beams in the Nave and Transepts come from the Holy Rosary Church in Greystones.

23 Stations of the Cross. These are small low reliefs. The original hand painted stations were damaged by woodworm.

24 Windows. There is no figurative glass in this Church only decorative glass. In the centre of the windows, there is a motif with blue and purple leading.

24 Windows. There is no figurative glass in this Church only decorative glass. In the centre of the windows, there is a motif with blue and purple leading.

25 Altar Rails. The Communion rails are the original. They are made of cast iron with wooden rails. The step running the length of the altar rails was sanded by hand by two dedicated parishioners in recent years.

Holy Water font at side entrance. No history supplied.

Circular Window seen from exterior.

Copyright 2011 Greystones Parish. All Rights Reserved.
Design by acton|web